Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Job Interview!

Actually, scratch that exclamation point. I had a job interview at the Athletic Cente eat Georgian on Tuesday. I hate job interviews. I really, really do. It's not like I'm bad at them or anything, I just get overly worked up beforehand and make myself so nervous I feel sick to my stomach. Then I walk in, and I'm fine. It's really stupid, actually.

Anyway, the interview was for a position managing the Athletic Centre for the summer (mid-Aprilish until the end of August). Happily, it pays between $10.15 and $10.45 an hour, depending on how the minimum wage increase changes things. Unhappily, during the summer, they're open from 5:45 a.m. until 11 p.m. 5:45 a.m. That would basically mean a 3:30 (give or take) wake-up time if I wanted to eat, shower and be there to open.

I heard back from them today, and apparently they couldn't get ahold of my references at the Citizen or at Ballbuster. I gave them HR's phone number for Blockbuster, and Scott's out for the day, so I just told them to try and call Kelly (who, being the way she is, will most likely just redirect them to HR). As for the Citizen, I don't really know what the guy wanted me to tell him. Apparently the GM and the sports editor I worked under were both out on assignment. Well, terribly sorry, I'll get them to stop doing journalism and get back to the office.

They said they'd call sometime next week, so I hope that means they'll keep trying the references.

Although, I should point out, as someone that has done hiring, reference checks are crap. Think about it. Would you put someone down as a reference who will basically say that you're only a slightly better employee than the carpeting?

No comments: