Monday, April 11, 2005

Anniversary, Zimbabwe, and Third Echelon, oh my!

I realise I have been away for rather an extended period of time, but, unfortunately, the requirements of Georgian that I finish my assignments and work, where they cold-heartedly insist that I arrive for my shifts at the scheduled time have left me with little time to post. But, allow me to catch everyone up as best I can:

---------------------------------------

April 5th was Carley and my second anniversary - once again, amazing how she lasted so long. She completely spoiled me and reminded me why I do love her so by buying me Toronto Rock tickets (for the April 1st game against defending champion Calgary). The seats were absolutely fabulous, we could see everything, and the Rock came away victorious. Of course, the fourth period started tied 9-9, forcing me to explain that the preceding three periods were in fact just as important as the forthcoming one, despite the fact that the teams were essentially starting from level ground.

She also got me a Rock t-shirt, and I, in return, got her Kingdom Hearts for her Gameboy and an old edition of Alice in Wonderland, which, unfortunately, does not any publication information, but the inscription on the inside says "Christmas '12" which I assume means Christmas 1912.

Depressingly, the weather did not seem to share our desire for a nice day, as a swath of Southern Ontario was transplanted to the Arctic circle.

But, it was great all the same, I truly am very lucky to have her!

----------------------------------------

First, some numbers on Zimbabwe:

70% - unemployment rate
50% - the amount the economy has decreased in five years
80-90% - the amount of people living below the poverty line
17,000 - the estimated number of people turned away at the polls
25 - the number of years incumbent president Robert Mugabe has been in power

The election results are in...the winner is...Robert Mugabe.

And, just like last time, the whole world went, "Yeah...the results probably weren't fair, do you think you guys could hold another election? No? Please? Alright, fine."

----------------------------------------

I am now the proud owner of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. It is wonderful. Very wonderful. Even if it can get a little silly at times.

----------------------------------------

Carley and I went to see Fever Pitch on Friday night. Correction: early Friday evening. Again, correction: early International Obnoxious Kids evening.

The movie was pretty good, even if it was by the Farrelly brothers (which was almost undetectable, except for a 30-second clip where Drew Barrymore is throwing up in her bathroom, apparently quite violently).

The most noteworthy part of the night, however, was the two separate groups of idiotic noisy kids in front of and behind us. The group behind us were noisy, but not terribly obnoxious. At least they didn't kick our seats, à la Ocean's Twelve. The group in front of us, however...well, let's just say they left before the credits began to roll to avoid, as Carley quite accurately put it, a lynching.

Here are the notable participants:

Bathroom Guy - the guy who, honestly, saw about 20 minutes of the film. He'd sit for five minutes, then get up and leave the theatre for about 15 minutes. Then come back. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Popcorn Girls - the two girls who, sitting six seats apart, tried to see if they could toss popcorn into one another's mouth. In the dark.

What Did You Say? Girl - *leaning over three of her friends* "Pssst, what did you say?"
"What? Nothing."
*louder* "What?"
"Nothing! Be quiet!"
*louder, still* "WHAT?"
*end with fit of giggling*

Laughing Girls - at separate times, all the girls, who felt that the movie was, in fact, the absolute most funny movie ever.

And, of course, there is the wonderful Galaxy Nazi, the manager who provides the oh so essential service of telling people to keep their feet off the seats. He came over and talked to them three times, distracting us in the process, and then...leaving. Which solved the problem for as long as it took the theatre door to close, at which time they got louder just to spite him.

Carley made one comment that they heard, resulting in a dirty look, but which actually got them to quiet down for a few minutes.

And that was our night at Fever Pitch.

----------------------------------------

I started my job at Georgian, and, so far, have learned a bunch of jobs that have been prefixed with "You'll probably never have to do this, but...". So far, the only thing I will apparently be doing is counting the deposit.

Although, I can't complain too much, I do have a job, and a well-paid one to boot. Poor Carley apparently does not seem to fit whatever idea potential employers seem to have for her profession. And, of course, her co-op consultants are completely without any clearly apparent function. I agree with her when she says that it seems like all the jobs that are being posted are just token interviews with no real hope of an actual job.

----------------------------------------

And there you have it. I think I am caught up. It's been a long week-and-a-half, including a very stubborn mini-cold that has plagued Carley and I for about three days now.

No comments: