Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Because I...can't...READ!

I have come to the unfortunate realization that I am illiterate. It's hard discovering it at 22, but, I guess that happens.

There is a door on the bottom floor of K building with squiggly things on it - or "words" as I am told they are called. I had thought the words said, "Emergency Exit Only" and, underneath, "Alarm will sound". Apparently, it reads, "NOT an Emergency Exit. Simply an exit onto an empty patch of pavement with no intrinsic value. We ask that you open it once in a while, simply to let some fresh air into the facility, even if it does make a god-awful noise."

Of course, I didn't read this. After all, I'm illiterate and think it's an emergency exit. I deduced that it must be simply a door because it is opened at least twice daily, filling all of K building - one of the few relaxing places in the school - with a siren.

No comments: