Monday, May 08, 2006

C'est La Vie

Remarkably, despite its uncanny resemblence to its little cousin Orangeville, Barrie actually has a gay bar. A gay bar called C'est La Vie. A gay bar called C'est La Vie to which I can now say I have been.

The reason behind this trip would be the piece of Shirra's artwork that was being featured at the bar/club (I don't really know what you'd call it). There was actually an entire art show - and when I say art show, keep in mind that, for the most part, I mean "art" ahow.

Some of the pieces were actually quite good (we were at a table that had a very big oil on canvas of a phoenix that I would not mind having up somewhere, had it not been $400). There was also some mixed media stuff that wasn't utter trype.

Conversely, some of the pieces were, well, "art". For example, the piece of "art" featuring a horse's body in the lower right corner of a yellow canvas and his head in the upper left corner. Or the red-and-blue scribble "art" going for $56 - it's childish appearance was apparently justified by titling it "Something or Other Kindergardener Something Number 3"1.

But yes, the important part is that my roommates and I (and Shirra's mum) spent a Friday night at a gay bar. In Barrie. And there were nurses. And a cowboy. And I was informed that I was checked out by two separate guys.

1 - I went on Friday, so I don't remember the name now. But there were two of them and Kindergardener was spelled a different way on both.

No comments: