Sunday, June 18, 2006

Hara-kiri, shock, and the Beautiful Game

I have not found opportunity to post in the past (nearly) month due to my computer's yearly ritualistic hara-kiri episode. Last year it was a fried motherboard, this year a corrupt kernel file. Yeah, my computer likes to go big. I still do not actually have my computer back, but seeing as Ben is going to be in the wilderness for the summer, I have hijacked his laptop. I will hopefully be getting mine back soon, but regardless...

So, anyway, an update:

There are really only two dates that matter from the last month: May 29th and June 9th.

I will deal with the latter first, and, quite frankly, most people probably recognize that date anyway (if you haven't guessed by the title). June 9th was the first date of matches in the World Cup. I won't go into great details, but suffice to say that I have an England and a Netherlands flag on my car. Oh, and go Togo.

As for May 29th, that would be the day that I - while being an idiot - suffered a second-degree sprain of my left ankle. I managed to walk about 50 feet to my locker, but the second I sat down, I was reunited with my old friend Shockington K. Shocksworth. My ankle swelled up to about three times its normal size, but as I was at the gym, the Athletic Therapist, Steph, was kind enough to tape my foot before Katie took me to the hospital.

(Sidenote: nurses and doctors get very snarky when it turns out that an athletic therapist diagnosed an injury properly)

The doctor told me that I'd be pretty inactive for six to eight weeks, but I went to the Jays game the next night, within two days I was walking nearly pain-free, and I played slo-pitch the next Monday. Both Carley and Steph have told me that I should be staying off my foot more, but I figure that as long as it doesn't hurt, I might as well make sure it's working alright.

So, that is my last month. Exciting, no?

No comments: