Thursday, September 21, 2006

What I'd Like To Post About

You know, I'd love to post about a lot of things right now.

I'd love to post about Carley.
I'd love to post about Dave and Melissa's wedding.
I'd love to post about the start of the rugby season.
I'd love to post about Ben being in Barrie.
I'd really love to post about my running for SAC President.

But do you know what I'm going to post about; what I am absolutely forced to post about? This and this. (I'd have a real neat-o YouTube thing on here about the fight that started it all, but, alas, that video has been taken down.)

Honestly, I don't know where to start. I think the first thing I'll pick apart is the quote from Principal Deb Magahay - the pleasure of whom I never had - where she says that it's not just the student's safety that's the issue, but "It's a huge issue in terms of school reputation." What...the...fuck? Student safety...school rep...student safety...school rep.

When I went to ODSS, OD stood for OverDose. 'Nuff said. Bugger school rep; there is no public high school in, I will venture, the country that does not have skeletons in its closet. Every single school has a negative part to it. As someone already said in the O-dot community, clearly Magahay is just covering her own ass.

Now, maybe it's just me, but everyone's aware that people have been fighting for longer than this past month, right? There's going to be a big fuss made about the breakdown of society, and how misguided our youth are, and - I'm waiting, just waiting - the HORRORS OF THE INTERNET, but the truth is, the only difference between now and when I went to high school is that it's on the internet. The fights are no more vicious, they're over the exact same shit, there are the same number of people watching, and the competitors are the same (Scrawny White Boy in a Nirvana Shirt has just become Scrawny White Boy in an Alexisonfire Shirt). Frankly, if the parents of these kids couldn't tell that their children were getting into fights (just as they assume their kids don't smoke, drink, or party), they need to open their eyes.

If these kids had something better into which to channel their pent-up emotions, like, oh, I don't know, a high school football or rugby or wrestling team, maybe they wouldn't have the same urge to wail on one another. Oh...but wait...kids could get hurt...or, more importantly, the teams could be bad and hurt the school's reputation.

Now, Orangeville (in my opinion and bugger any one who wishes to argue; seriously, bring it on) is a pretty good place to live. The biggest problem, however, is that the city has no clue how to market itself to anyone under about 40. (Take the skatepark, for example - is that damn thing ever going to be finished?) That is why, whenever I come home, there is a nearly complete lack of anyone between about 17 and 33. Once everyone can leave, they do. They go to college/university, grow up, visit home once in a while (where all they do is talk about what has changed and who they know that is still in town), have a family, then move back to Orangeville.

Truth be told, Orangeville just isn't willing to appeal to us whipper-snappers. It's like the city isn't willing to admit that there is a time between high school and middle age, and, as such, when things like kids fighting after school come to people's attention, they do things like increase the police presence and dedicate manpower to...watching YouTube. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think a bunch of cops sitting around watching grainy, 33-second videos of half-assed parkour and funny cats is going to stop adolescent agression.

OK, look, this has gone on for far too long. On a final note, I'll say that I respect the Star a lot for not calling these things "fight clubs" and I respect both papers for making it clear that consensual fighting is not illegal. Sure, causing a disturbance could get a few of these kids in trouble, but wailing on one another isn't a crime if both parties agree to it.

I promise I will post about things that don't make me wretch in the near future.

No comments: