Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pirates of the Caribbean: Progessively Shorter Title

Having now seen Pirates of the Caribbean twice, I feel I am qualified to make the following judgments.

I enjoyed the movie, even a second time through, so for a film with a 168-minute time tag, that is saying something.

HOW-ever, there are a couple of issues that need to be addressed. How did Beckett get Jack's compass when they met on the Endeavour? Why is Tia Dalma so creepy? And, finally, why is the love story between Will and Elizabeth still...you know...there? I realize that it will be necessary for Pirates of the Caribbean: Havin' My Baby, but really, there has been absolutely no chemistry there since the first movie. It probably has something to do with Orlando Bloom's lack of charisma, but also the fact that when a romantic subplot is treated with third-best (at best) priority, you can't just throw it in there in the final scene and hope it sticks.

And there you have it.

No comments: