Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pontifications (Yes, I'm a Pope, I Can Pontificate)

I've been tremendously lazy, and more or less completely unmotivated in the last several weeks, and the idea of even logging in here has pretty much filled me...well, honestly, with the desire to go play Madden 09. I also blame Facebook for essentially draining my will to live, or at the very least, to go on the Internet. I've also spent a lot of time in the "anger" stage the last few weeks as I deal with my "loss" and "grief", and I don't like writing things when I'm angry. But, I can take a break once in a while, so here we go:

On Hockey

Did I miss the tribunal where the parents of Orangeville got together and decided they were going to bitch to Sport Mart employees about the cost of hockey equipment? I'm sorry, but precisely what made you think hockey was a cheap sport to enrol your kids in? And we don't even sell the expensive stuff! Wait until your kids decide they want Graf skates...

On Retail, in general

What is possibly the most dangerous, time-consuming, and frustrating thing in the world? The answer, of course, is a customer with a nearly insignificant amount of knowledge which they believes puts them miles ahead of the employee serving them. It can be terribly frustrating to try an find someone a shoe when they claim to have a wide foot and need significant arch support, but don't want to spend a lot of money. I have seen people literally try on six pairs of shoes, all of which are virtually the same, just to have them determine that each one has some phantom design flaw that does not meet their specific needs. And God help the retail employee that gets someone who's extemely brand conscious. One day, a customer will break out "over-pronation" and I'll have to kill myself.

On Russell Peters

The man is freaking hilarious. Despite the seering leg pain caused by the seats at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium, his show was absolutely brilliant - there's really no need to go into deep detail, just rest assured, he was awesome and everyone should go see him at all possible opportunities.

On Culture

Actually, I will refer to Russell Peters here - he had a good little routine about people getting culture and race screwed up. How, if you were born in Canada...and your parents were born in Canada...and your grandparents were born in Canada, guess what, no matter how "Irish" or "Indian" (he specifically said both of these, I'm not picking on anybody) you say you are, you're "Canadian". I was actually asked if I was native when I told someone I was "English" and "Canadian", so it just goes to show that, culturally, people from Canada don't apparently think it's particularly cool to be "Canadian". They have to be smegheads and celebrate the shit out of St. Patrick's Day despite being several generations removed from Ireland. But, this rant has gone on long enough. Be yourself, respect where you came from, but remember where you are.

On Tattoos

Got a new tattoo with Ben last week in Barrie - my second, his first. Pictures are up on Facebook, which is probably the easiest thing to do as many of the six people that actually read this have me on Facebook anyway! I'm liking the way it turned out and Ben's doing a good job of not scratching his too much, so all is good. Now, of course, it's rekindled my addiction to them, so I need to find a third!

Sadly, after 5 weeks of rumination, this is really the best I've got; not, I feel, up to my generally witty and insightful standards that have drawn raves from so many people (in my head). Honestly, my brain and my creativity are just tired. I'm weary and worn out, while at the same time, I'm trying to fill my time with as many people and places as I can. I'm enjoying work more and more every day, but I know that this is not nearly where I want to be. I'm torn between staying in Orangeville, which I love, and starting anew somewhere else (PEI still holds a very fond spot in my heart). I'm just in this weird limbo from which I can't really be freed for a couple more months, and uncertainty is not really something I deal very well with, unfortunately.

But, until then, I'll try to be a little better at keeping this thing updated. There is, after all, an election in three weeks - that should provide ample material!

No comments: