Sunday, February 26, 2012

Down to the Wire Oscar Guesses



I'm sure we went to a lot of movies this year. I'm sure of it. Why, then, have we seen so few of this year's Oscar nominees? Could it be that so few of the big award nominees actually came to Orangeville? Could it be the lack of a Blockbuster? Could it be laziness? It sure could!


But, I like to think I'm well-informed enough to at least make snooty and incorrect guesses about the major winners!

Best Picture

The nominees:
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
Tree of Life
War Horse

Between Meaghan and I, we're 6-for-9 in Best Picture nominees this year - we didn't get a chance to see The Descendants, Hugo, or Tree of Life. While I'd love to see Moneyball take home the prize, I've got to go with:














The Academy said: The Artist

Best Director

The nominees:
Woody Allen - Midnight in Paris
Michel Hazanavicius - The Artist
Terrence Malick - Tree of Life
Alexander Payne - The Descendants
Martin Scorcese - Hugo

I'm tempted to just automatically give this to Hazanavicius, as I expect The Artist to take home the top prize, however, I've heard that Scorcese works magic with Hugo. Is this a year when the Best Picture and Best Director awards get split? I say no.

I say: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
The Academy said: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist

Best Actor

The nominees:
Demian Bichir - A Better Life
George Clooney - The Descendants
Jean Dujardin - The Artist
Gary Oldman - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt - Moneyball

Dujardin does a pretty excellent job in The Artist, and I've heard good things about Oldman in the one movie I really wish we'd been able to find this year, but I think this is the year that Clooney gets the nod.

I say: George Clooney, The Descendants
The Academy said: Jean Dujardin, The Artist

Best Actress

The nominees:
Glenn Close - Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis - The Help
Rooney Mara - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep - The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams - My Week with Marilyn

The Academy loves Meryl, and, of course, she's been nominated 4.2 million times and only won twice, but I hope she doesn't win this year. My money's on Glenn Close, who dressed up like a man in Albert Nobbs. Plus, I want to work in the fact that Albert Nobbs won the Alliance of Women Film Journalists award for "Most Egregious Love Interest Age Difference". Isn't that an awesome award?

I say: Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
The Academy said: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady

Best Supporting Actor

The nominees:
Kenneth Branagh - My Week with Marilyn
Jonah Hill - Moneyball
Nick Nolte - Warrior
Christopher Plummer - Beginners
Max von Sydow - Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Oh, who the hell knows? I really liked Jonah Hill in Moneyball, but he ain't gonna win, and I didn't particularly enjoy Beginners or Extremely Loud. Plummer will probably win though - he did get it on with Dr. Luka Kovac after all.

I say: Christopher Plummer - Beginners
The Academy said: Christopher Plummer - Beginners

Best Supporting Actress

The nominees:
Berenice Bejo - The Artist
Jessica Chastain - The Help
Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer - Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer - The Help

Despite the double nomination, I've gotta think Spencer wins this, if only because people want to make Bryce Dallas Howard eat poop.

I say: Octavia Spencer, The Help
The Academy said: Octavia Spencer, The Help

A Cat in Paris
Chico & Rita
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango

For the first time in a few years, there's no clear cut winner here. I' tempted to figure it's going to be the two no-name films - A Cat in Paris and Chico & Rita, but I really hope:














The Academy said: Rango

There are, of course, plenty of other categories, and I shall not go through them here, but I will proudly (or shamefully) announce the results of our pool tonight.

A couple of other predictions, though:

- I will not realize who wins Best Actor until several minutes later, as Natalie Portman will be presenting the award.
- Zach Galifianakis will be in either A) an all-white suit or B) his underwear
- Emma Stone will not have red hair
- Sacha Baron-Cohen will show up in costume, but no one will really care

No comments: